Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Exam Is Useless

You know what, guys? I think that UPSRPMRSPMSTPM and all our exams are plain stupid. And I'm not saying that because I hate studying. Scout's honour.

I mean, it's absurd! We're not gods or some kind of genius, are we? They can't expect us to excel in all the subjects. They can't expect us to ace everything. Human beings have weaknesses. Like, for example, I'm weak in Chinese and some are weak in... say English.Nobody's perfect. Everyone has a weakness. (Even my beloved,seemingly perfect, Achilles.) And because of these silly exams, we have to work our ass off trying to improve ourselves and get straight A's. As the result, half of our lifetime is spent striving to get a few A's when we could have been enjoying our childhood more.

But of course, I don't mean we shouldn't have exams. Because you know what happens when we don't have exams - 99% of the student population will never study. What I'm suggesting is that we only take classes that we're interested in. And I certainly don't mean the form 4 and 5 kind of choosing courses because it really isn't much of a choice anyway. Either you choose Science, Mathematics, Art or whatever. It comes fully packaged. What if I like Science but I hate Add maths? What if I like literature but I hate arts? It's more of an ultimatum than a choice.

I feel that we would do better in our studies if we chose the subjects we like because how can we even appreciate studying it when we dislike it already? I hate Chinese and I definitely suck at it. I just don't comprehend how words seemed to flow from some of my friends pen. I sat there for half an hour trying to think of a sentence when my friend simply poured a whole paragraph out for me in less than 2 minutes. I don't understand how some could memorise everything in the KH textbook when I have to practically drill a hole in my head and stuff the book inside. I simply loathe it and I can't stand the sight of it. Which pretty much explains why I can't study it. Oh believe you me, I have tried in vain to like it. I really have, but to no avail. It has no effect whatsoever to me, if not deepen my hatred.

However, I do excel in those that I love. (I am not boasting.) I dare say I'm doing well in English although I probably have much to improve.  I also excel in Roman history because I spend most of my free time reading it up in Wikipedia. And incredibly enough, instead of cramming the facts in my head like I do with Malaysian history, the facts were imprinted in my head after reading a few times. I told you interest is everything.

So why can't we like choose the subjects we like and study them? That way we'll not lose interest in studying and we'll definitely not waste our time trying to remember facts that will be forgotten as soon as the exam is over. I mean, what is the use of studyingsaliran paip when I'm definitely not going to be a plumber when I grow up? Okay so maybe we won't need to call the plumbers when we face these kind of troubles. But then, I thought that many people were jobless nowadays? If everyone knows how to fix their pipes we don't need plumbers, do we?

Why isn't the people in the Educational Department thinking about problems like these instead of changing the freaking BMtatabahasa system all the time? Don't they have better things to do than making our lives miserable?

Don't you agree???

No comments:

Post a Comment