Monday, September 3, 2012

Boticelli

I can't believe I've never done a post on Sandro Botticelli before. I mean, I've been worshiping this guy on my hands and knees for years! Well no, I was exaggerating. But you get the point.

Anyway, born in Firenze - which is pretty much self-explanatory - in the 1400s he was one of the most famous painters in the early Renaissance. But ahh, influenced heavily by Savonarola he burned most of his pagan themed paintings in the Bonfire of Vanities. I can't even describe how strongly I feel against this. I mean, art is art! You can't burn good art, you akjnfjdnfrelkfmeo.

Okay, I shall stop talking about it now lest I begin to swear in a most unsightly fashion. And why am I talking like this?

The Birth of Venus
I'm not sure why The Birth of Venus, Primavera and Venus and Mars weren't burned in the Bonfire of Vanities but I intend to find out. And when I do I'll give a lecture on art history, haha.

Primavera
I would say that this is one of my all-time favorite painting, along with The Triumph of Death by Pieter Bruegel the Elder and The Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch and Caravaggio'sDavid and Goliath.

The Return of Judith to Bethulia

The Virgin and Child with Three Angels
I love how dark it is in this painting, because normally his paintings of Madonna and her Child are lighter. Like, the Divine Light shines upon them or something and they're beautiful too but I like something different. Maybe it's just me.

Calumny of Apelles
This is a large painting so you have to enlarge it and zoom in on every aspect of it. You'll see how breathtaking it is. (Find the 3200 x 2220 pixel one in wikipedia, and go over every small detail!)

No comments:

Post a Comment