Friday, June 26, 2009

Day-dreaming During Maths

A dark rider rode through the thick, black forest. He urged his horse to its full speed, weaving his way expertly in the closely packed trees.

Every now and then he turned his head around to see if he was followed but each time he saw sheer darkness. Thunder roared deafeningly above and heavy rain started to fall. He groaned softly. The rain that was pattering against his bronze helmet and body armour made it almost impossible for him to detect any sound or movement around him.

I stopped here, my fingers poised above the keyboard of my laptop, waiting for the words to form in my head. Unfortunately, the words were being rather stubborn today, hiding in the darkest corner of my brain, refusing to come out. They seemed to be playing a game with me; when they were being half lured out of their hidey-hole, when I could catch just the merest flicker of them, they disappeared back into their little sanctuary again.

Exasperated with their little games, I decided to take a break. I relaxed my curled fingers, tired from typing all day and take a look around me. Ahh... Paris, love of my life, my sin, my soul.

I was in a tiny, cosy cafe, in the middle of a snowy day. I could smell the aroma of the cup of steaming hot coffee in front of me, ready to fill me with caffeine and keep me alert for the rest of the afternoon. Directly in front of me was one of my personal favourite architectural building, the Notre Dame de Paris.

Ding dong, ding dong...

The bells of Notre Dame were ringing in a sweet, lovely melody. The gargantuan building itself seemed to tremble with the volume of the bells, sending tremors down the walls of the little cafe I was in.

Ahh... Hell's bells a-ringing. My secret melody. Singing an ancient tune nobody but I understand. Each metallic clang of the bells sent vibrations down the back of my spine. It was communicating with me through the peal of bells, the ringing vibrating in my ears. The bells were not only singing, they were insisting, commanding me to listen to what secret it wants to reveal to me. Yes, ancient walls, concealing ancient secrets, ancient truths...

"Do you understand what I'm saying?" the Mathematics teacher asked and I snapped out of my day-dream. She looked straight at me and I nodded my head fervently until she looked away. Dear God, I'm dreaming again, aren't I? Staring at the blank pages of my notebook I feel a twinge of guilt that I tried to ignore and disregard.

I glared at the sun as though its heat was the reason I was day-dreaming. A twinkling of dew in the midst of the grass caught my attention and I was off to dreamland again before I even knew it.

No comments:

Post a Comment