Thursday, June 11, 2009

My Trip To Rome- Part 2

Hi guys. I'm continuing from my previous post, My trip to Rome (part 1), obviously. Anyway, the protagonist of this post is St. Peter's Basilica. So here goes.























They are the carabinieri. Italian polices. Isn't it nice? They are riding horses!


The Pieta, by master sculptor Michaelangelo. It depicts the Virgin Mary holding her dead son, Christ. It is in St. Peter's Basilica.

St. Peter's Basilica. One of my personal favourites. If I'm not mistaken, that tower-like structure over there is the Vatican Obelisk. Brought in from Egypt by the emperor, Caligula himself.

The interior of St. Peter's Basilica. The building is so huge you feel kind of dwarfed when you enter it. Which is, of course, the intention of the architects. They want us to feel the power of their mighty God. What are you? A tiny speck of dust.

Another interior of St. Peter's Basilica. I'm sorry if the photo is a little askew - I'm not tall enough.









The interior dome of St. Peter's basilica. The Italian architects do take their jobs seriously, don't they? The ceilings are decorated as beautifully as their walls. Oh hell. Comparing their ceilings with our plain, dusty museum ceilings, I can only sigh.
Again, I regret to tell you that I will stop here and continue tomorrow. I promise.

P.S. All information below the photographs are historical facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment