Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hieronymus Bosch

This is one of my favourite classical painters: Hieronymus Bosch, who is Dutch. Among all his fantabulous paintings, my favourite would undoubtedly be The Garden of Earthly Delights. I mean, come on, even the name is totally my style.

Umm, it's really blur here because it's a really, really big painting. It's divine, I tell you. It's... enlightening. The first time I looked at it, I felt as if someone just tipped all the knowledge in the world into my head and my head's just swelling to the point of bursting. (You know, like in Indiana Jones?) I felt a spiritual awakening when I looked at this painting. It's not Christian, Catholic, Buddhism, Islamic or any religion known to the world. It's just... celestial. Here's the link to a bigger painting.

Ming says that this painting is creepy. I don't really see why, apart from it being too godly to be produced by human hands. God, I love this phrase: not by human hands. People used to describe what Armand drew as "not by human hands" too. Anyway, back to Hieronymus Bosch. I know that it's different from the usual paintings by classical artists I love, you know, Raphael, Botticelli, Leonardo da Vinci... But for some unfathomable reason, I find myself obsessed with this painting.

He has other works too but I love this the most. =)

The Temptation of St. Anthony


The Last Judgement


Visions of the Hereafter


Well, alright, I love Visions of the Hereafter too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment